Adult Drug Court
The Honorable George P. Eichwald
Drug Court Probation Officer
The mission of the Sandoval County Adult Drug Court is to take a proactive approach to substance abuse to foster safer communities by reducing the number of repeat offenders, and provide a continuum of services for substance abusers by utilizing multi-discipline, community based treatment and supervision to lower the cost of incarceration for substance offenders.
Goals and Objectives
- Goal: Create a safer community through reduced recidivism.
- Objective #1: Reduce recidivism by one half.
- *Recidivism means any drug or alcohol non-trafficking / misdemeanor / felony conviction.
- Goal: Reduce substance abuse among drug court participants.
- Objective #1: Create innovative, intensive supervision program for drug court participants.
- Objective #2: Create intensive, individualized treatment program.
- Objective #3: Create an aftercare plan for each graduate.
- Goal: Provide substantial cost savings to the community.
- Objective #1: The cost per client per day in Drug Court averages about $13.42 compared to $64.00 per inmate per day it costs to be housed in the Sandoval County Detention Center.
Drug courts have been proven to be a cost effective approach to treating substance abusing adults. The Sandoval County Adult Drug Court Program began in July of 2005 with twelve (12) participants. Since that time, the program has expanded to at least twice that size. Participants accepted into the Drug Court Program may have case types that include pre-indictment, post indictment, post sentence and probation violations.
The Sandoval County Adult Drug Court consists of a strong team under the leadership of District Court Judge George P. Eichwald. The team is comprised of representatives from the Adult Probation/Parole Department, various Treatment Providers, Local Law Enforcement, the Office of the District Attorney, the Office of the Public Defenders and members of the community.
Drug Court Hearings are held every Wednesday at 8 a.m. in the Sandoval County District Courthouse 1500 Idalia Rd. Bldg. A Bernalillo, NM 87004.